THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 9, 2008

SWEET MALINKO (JULY 22, 1998-AUGUST 6, 2008)














I am backtracking trying to figure out the right words etc. to post right now about our sweet Malinko... and I am having a terrible time with it...obviously I have been avoiding it. We haven't really talked about it since we had to put him down, so it makes for a hard time of typing. Since we had his leg amputated, things were great! He recovered rather quickly, he suprised us all how well he could adapt on 3 legs. He was his old self and spirit and we hoped for the best. Since the pathologist had the "whole" section to work with they did figure out the cancer was osteosarcoma (sp)? The "terrible bone cancer" that we had dreaded. However we did hope to be in the clear and thought as positive as we could!!! He had just turned 10 years old, and we all knew he should have a handful more bdays to come! Unfortunately, this was his last and became a quick downward spiral... The cancer had come back in his lungs, and had taken over, extremely quickly. It was a tough couple of days at the Aikia's (he was not able to stand up at this point) and also realizing the inevitable. He was the beginning of our family and it was so hard to do the right thing for him at this point. Regardless of you knowing what is "right", you can't help but think, "well, what if?"...He went to heaven on Wednesday, August 6th, with Ryan and myself by his side.... and I hated that day so much! As much as I try to have faith and know he is running on all fours now, it still breaks my heart he is not beside my chair as I type.

2 comments:

Leanna said...

We love and miss Malinko! I know this was hard for you to do and I hope it helps to celebrate his life. He sure had an awesome life with all the love that you, Ryan and Macy gave to him.

The Big Finn said...

Sweet old guy! We had to put our "baby" down 3.5 years ago when she was nearly 14 years old, and I still feel a little stinging behind the eyes when I think about her. Our cat is now 20 years old, and I don't think he has too many years/months left in him.
Just hold on to all the good memories, and try to gradually forget the time when he was ailing.