Some of you may or may not know this, but about 2 months ago we found out Malinko... our sweet, sweet Malinko.....has cancer. We noticed a lump on his paw and took him to the vet the following day. Right away the vet, "Dr Mark", thought it was Osteosarcoma, which may be spelled wrong. However you spell it, it is a bone cancer that pretty much has no promise. The cancer had the shape of a spindle...and come to find out, there are 3 others that have that shape and don't stem from the bone. So...we go from thinking we are losing our pup in days to "okay, there is some promise here". It really was up and down the next couple of weeks. We had a core biopsy done and the pathologists could not give definitive results. They actually even thought it might not be cancer but more or less the results of a previous trauma. What the?!?!? So now, I think there is no cancer, but something terrible bothering Malinko's leg. Something sooooo terrible that he chooses to walk with 3 legs and not use the bad one. He is pretty good at it, especially if you throw a tennis ball near him. You'd think his bad leg was good, and maybe he got about 3 extra ones!!! After 2 more biopsies with indefinite results and xrays showing that the stuff is spreading quickly through his toes, we knew it was decision time. We both talked with Dr Mark, did our research and felt without a doubt, that the best thing would be to amputate the leg. As saddening as it sounds, I have a really positive outlook on this. I am thrilled to think he will no longer be hurting. I am excited to see him get his spirit back. I AM EXCITED FOR MY 3 LEGGED MALINKO TO GET HOME AND START AFRESH! I really hope that this is the end of it, but I do know there is no guarantee. I also know it will be tough in the beginning for everyone and him to adapt, but I know we will shine on through!!!
Brothers in Hockey
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment